Friday 2 October 2009

Caddington Village School

October 2 2009

The Caddington Village School was packed with concerned villagers, desperately worried about plans for a major new development on 800 acres of green fields. Anyone who thinks voters are apathetic and no longer care about politics, should see the concern and commitment of people who feel their homes and the environment they love are threatened by planners. As a journalist myself, I became anxious because it was clear that nobody was there at the meeting to offer a different point of view. We needed to know how far the attractions of the new plans, (allotments, green spaces, a new stadium, more jobs, a new high street and so on) were simply “unaffordable bells and whistles” as Richard Stay (Conservative Councillor) described them. He was very much in charge of the meeting and vehemently against the development. I have always believed in informed choice. As I said at the meeting, it is better to hear the arguments on both sides. This not only helps us to come to an objective decision but also enables us to hear the other side’s arguments and muster our own ammunition against them. Sadly the meeting at Caddington was entirely devoid of any contribution from those who support the new development. Richard accused me of not having voted for or against the plans. With so little hard information and with emotions running so high, I have decided to do some research of my own.

My greatest shock was to see that not only was the MP missing, (as she is off sick, that is hardly surprising and indeed nobody seemed to have expected her to attend) but Luton’s Labour Party had not sent any representative either. It is utterly wrong that Luton South should have no voice in government or parliament on a crucial issue like this.

I was delighted by the warmth of my welcome at the meeting – it must be very tough to feel outgunned and outnumbered when a community is so comparatively small but let no one underestimate the strength and fervour of Caddington village feelings. I look forward to attending the meeting at Slip End on October 9. I hope there will be some representatives from the developers and Luton’s Labour Party there. Otherwise there is a real risk that passions can be whipped up by politicians with their own agenda.

3 comments:

  1. Esther
    Thnk you for coming both to Caddington & Slip End on Friday.
    I am not entirely sure why this is an issue you need to know more about - I live here & I know the issues already & I know through bitter experience that the moment you start discussing the possibility of Green Belt building you will have already crossed the rubicon.
    The principle is clear - building on existing Green Belt is not on - it was there for a purpose to stop urban sprawl.
    I am not entirely sure what more information you need?
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Response to Richard,

    Would that be Richard Stay? Conservative MP, I have to say I too have lived in the village (Caddington) and you did rather seem to use the meeting as a vehicle to your own ends! Perhaps you should let our own parish councillers speak more, and allow the villagers to say more.

    Sheila S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sheila, except I am not an MP - I have been a local Councillor for 13 years, representing Caddington & Slip End.
    I have no ends other than to see the back of Bushwood Green.
    Talking to them is not going to achieve anything other than give them a foothold & a potential for splits.
    The meeting was run in full accordance with the wishes of the Parish Council Chairmen, but I am sure they are quite capable of speaking up.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete